Friday, October 9, 2009

Ever-expanding Horizions

Being of an engineering mind, I am a creature of habit. So, I don't branch that far out in anything really. When I find something I like, I tend to stick to it. You know the type..."Change is not good...no matter what anyone else says." But, I've begun to branch out and read more than just Computer Magazines and Technical Journals...to expand my Geekness.

I have always enjoyed the mystery/crime drama movies based off the novels of Grisham and Patterson and the like, but have never read the actual books. I'm a busy guy, and watching the movie just seemed easier and faster. Kind of like a Cliff's Notes version of the Cliff's Notes, if you will.

As I've gotten older I've come to really enjoy the time-outs in life, though, from time to time. I don't have that feeling of being afraid I'm going to miss something as much as I used to. Maybe in a way, I'm resigned to the fact that I probably already missed it...i dunno. I decided that maybe taking time to relax and read a good book wasn't so bad after all and that maybe I'd give it a shot.

Only, I don't have any books. My library consists of computer magazines, home improvement magazines and how-to books, and a few self-help books my mom gave me over the years (most of which, I'll admit, I haven't opened let alone read...sorry Mom). I borrowed a book from my Mom to get started. No, not another self-help book, but a completely fictional crime drama that is set in a real life small town in North Carolina close to where my parents live (and happens to be where the Author, John Hart, lives as well). The book was called King of Lies and it was fantastic. I couldn't put it down. Reading those crime stories was so much more engrossing than watching the Hollywood versions of them.

So I read more. Not just crime dramas anymore, either (although, I do tend to lean that way). I used to read a ton when I was young. I learned to read rather young and I love learning in general, so I would read whatever I could. Absorb as much information as possible. I kind of feel like that again. Like a whole new world has been re-opened, as it were.

So, to make a long story, well...longer, I've signed up to be a reviewer of newly released books from different publishers. And, I am going to expand this blog to include those reviews as they come. Kind of an exciting new thing for me...and it gets me a way to build my library for free!

I know you're waiting with bated breath...so here comes the first one...

...no sleeping!!

1 comment:

  1. Well, being "the MOM" and not at all offended that you haven't opened the earlier books I gave you....I am thrilled about your new-found interest in reading and building a library of your own. It is an exiciting world and I too have been discovering the Fiction Literary world. Read on...I am looking forward to the reviews.

    ReplyDelete